This set of three printed circuit boards is designed to build a minimal Z80 system.
The system can be expanded to run CP/M and more.
Set of boards consisting of:
SC201 – Set of boards to make a minimal Z80 computer
Once built this minimal system contains:
- Z80 processor
- 128k bytes RAM
- 32k bytes EPROM
- 7.3728 MHz clock
- Z80 SIO/2 dual port serial interface
- Z80 CTC 4 channel counter timer
- Backplane with power input and one spare slot
Each board has a user guide which includes component sourcing and assembly details. These documents can be found on the documentation page of this site.
Communication to the outside world is achieved using the included serial board connected to a terminal or with an FTDI style serial adapter cable connected to a computer running a terminal emulation program.
This Z80 computer is designed to run the free Small Computer Monitor software version 1.0 configuration R3. Program a 32k byte EPROM (27C256) with this code and you have a capable machine code monitor, a BASIC interpreter and a CP/M loader.
To upgrade to a CP/M system, just add an RC2014 Compact Flash module and Compact Flash card containing CP/M.
You can purchase this set of printed circuit boards from Tindie.
- This design is made in accordance with the “designed for RC2014” labelling scheme.
- RC2014 is a trademark of RFC2795 Ltd.
- This product is designed for hobby use and is not suitable for industrial, commercial or safety-critical applications.